Back 2


Annual Review  A formal meeting held once a year to review the targets and provision set out in a child’s Statement of SEN. The parents, teachers and all specialist services involved with that child would be invited to attend and/or provide a report for the meeting. This is a legal requirement.
Assessment  Tests, both formal, paper based tests and informal, observation based tests.  These could be the usual tests that are carried out by class teachers to assess their classes progress. They could be specialist tests to assess a specific area of a child’s learning. These may be carried out by staff based in school or by specialist advisors
Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life and affects a person’s ability to communicate and interact with others.  Autism is defined by a certain set of behaviours and is a “spectrum disorder” that affects individuals differently and to varying degrees.
BEAM Intervention programme to help children develop their motor skills (movements) and co-ordination.
Booster group A small group of children that will work with a teacher or TA on a specific area of learning. The aim of these groups is to support those children who may need a little extra push to make expected progress.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)  All children can suffer from anxiety, worries and emotional mood swings. If this is causing problems at home and school you can approach CAMHS for support. They can make assessments and offer support groups for both the child and their family. The service supports children up to the age of 18.
Differentiation When planning lessons, teachers will plan different levels of work to suite different abilities. Tasks can be made easier to support children with low ability or harder to challenge children who find a subject easy. Different worksheets, books and resources might be routinely provided to help children be successful and complete tasks.
Educational Psychologists (EP)  An Educational Psychologist is specially trained to assess a child’s ability. In the case of children with the most complex needs who are failing to make progress, they might be called upon to investigate a child’s strengths and weaknesses and advise teachers how best to support a child.
Education, Care and Health Plan (ECH Plan) In light of the new Code of Practice, the ECH Plan will replace the Statement of SEN for all new requests from September 2014. This is a legal document which puts in place and safeguards provision for children with the most severe or complex special educational needs.
Emotional Learning Support Assistant (ELSA)  An ELSA is a member of staff who has undergone specialist training in ways of supporting children develop their emotional literacy skills. The one to one sessions they provide typically last for 6 weeks. The sessions are tailored to the needs of the individual but can cover topics such as anger management, self esteem and social skills.
Individual Education Plan (IEP)  An IEP is a document created by class teachers alongside pupils to address a child’s special educational needs. It sets out targets for a child to work on in class and identifies the staff and resources that are allocated to achieve these. The IEP is reviewed on a termly basis. In light of the new Code of Practice, the form of these documents is likely to change by September 2014. The new document will cover the same function but may have a different name.
Multi Agency Behaviour Support (MABS)  Some children’s behaviour can be challenging. Their behaviour is often a result of previously unidentified special educational needs. MABS is a resource that schools can call in to help teachers and parents to work together to help a child improve their behaviour in class.
Occupational Therapist (OT)  An Occupational Therapist is a medical specialist who is able to devise exercise programmes to help pupils develop the physical skills they need in school. These could be gross motor skills such as developing the coordination needed for running, catching and balancing. They also work on fine motor skills needed to control a pencil or brush when writing, drawing or painting. They also provide or recommend equipment that will support a child in these areas.
Parent Partnership  Parent Partnership is an impartial service that supports parents through the special educational system.
Precision Teaching  This is a nationally recognised teaching method used to develop a child’s basic skills. It is delivered by a Teaching Assistant who has undergone extra training on an individual basis.
Provision  This is the service a school provides for a child. This can be the general provision as provided for all pupils but can also include small group and personalised (one to one) work.
Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo)  A SENCo is a teacher who has gained further qualifications in the area of Special Educational Needs. A SENCo is able to advise teachers on ways to support pupils in their class. They also work alongside parents and other professionals to coordinate resources and staff to cater for the needs of children who have been identified as having special educational needs.
Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)  Special Educational Needs is a term used to describe a child’s needs in school which are greater than those typical of a child of the same age. These can be but are not necessarily caused by a diagnosed disability.
Statement of SEN  This is a legal document which puts in place and safeguards provision for children with the most severe or complex special educational needs. In light of the new Code of Practice, the form of these documents will change by September 2014. Statements of SEN will be replaced by Education, Care and Health Plans (ECH Plans). Statements that have already been made will remain in place but will be converted into ECH Plans within the next three years.
Teaching Assistant (TA)  A Teaching Assistant is a member of staff employed to support a teacher and the children within their class. They work under the guidance of teachers. Some Teaching Assistants work with small groups whilst others work with a single child (often referred to as one to one or 1:1).


722 total views, 2 views today